I have been to St Lucia several times and always leave happier than the former trip. I remember the first time we landed in St Lucia, I wondered about those majestic peaks dominating the whole landscape. The Pitons, volcanic peaks demonstrate the volcanic origin of the island.
Both the Gros Piton and Petit Piton are the symbolic landmarks of this exotic island. They rise from the sea to an altitude of almost 2000 feet, covered by dense tropical rain forests with abundant species of paradisaical birds and wild flora.
The spectacular St Lucia Pitons raising from the bottom of the sea
St Lucia Facts
• Official name - Saint Lucia
• Population - 172,884 • Area in Sq Km - 616
• Capital City – Castries • Languages - English, French Patois
• Political Status - Independent Member of British Commonwealth
• Currency - Eastern Caribbean Dollar (XCD)
Getting there By Air
There are two major airports in this island, the northern George Charles (Vigie) Airport, located near Castries, or the Hewanorra International Airport in the south. Once you arrive to one of them, you’ll have to make your way to one of the resorts. That can be done by road, by ferry or by helicopter. The Hilton at Jalousie Beach has it own Heliport. It is one of the Best Beaches resorts in the Caribbean.
You may arrive here from the other islands, like Martinique Island by ferry. This is a very common way of transportation in all the Caribbean islands.
On a Cruise
Many cruise lines offer stops here in their Southern Caribbean itineraries that start in Old San Juan , New York or Florida.
To mention a few of the cruise lines: Carnival Cruises , Celebrity Cruises , Costa Cruises , Disney Cruise Line, MSC Cruise Line, Norwegian Cruise Line , Princess Cruises , Regent Seven Seas and Royal Caribbean.
The verdant lush vegetation of St Lucia is Awe Inspiring
Getting around on your Saint Lucia Vacations
Finding a Taxi in Saint Lucia is easy. Please decide the fare with the driver before the trip starts to avoid further problems. You may even negotiate a Full Island Tour is the price is right.
Maybe you want to use a bus, part of the private bus system of the island. They serve the capital Castries and some of the smaller towns.
This is my favorite way to visit the islands. This way you can enjoy the charm of the island at your own pace. Many car Rental companies offer the services mainly at both airports.
Saint Lucia Flag Description: Blue, with a gold isosceles triangle below a black arrowhead; the upper edges of the arrowhead have a white border
Romantic Getaways on the Beaches
The island is surrounded by pristine beaches with idyllic views and crystal clear waters only seen in the Caribbean Sea. The beaches are the ideal place for your Caribbean Honeymoon . There are infinite numbers of Romantic Getaways to let your dreams fly.
The Soufriere Volcano
In this jewel of an island you’ll enjoy:
• A visit to the Soufriere volcano with a drive-in crater
• Bird watching and hiking in the rain forests of the mountainous interior of the island.
Many Water Sports
• The best Snorkeling and Scuba Diving along steep coastlines and Coral reefs.
Beaches, beaches and more beaches
Above all, the main reason most of the visitors arrive in this paradise is the beaches, the beaches and more beaches. The policy is that all beaches are public including those on the Beaches Resorts.
The Caribbean side is quiet but the Atlantic side is rough
• Those on the shores of the Caribbean Sea on the West side are enclaves with tranquil crystal clear waters ideal for swimming and all kind of Water Sports.
• Those on the East side bordering the Atlantic Ocean are turbulent and wild making swimming somewhat dangerous. But walking around and enjoying the magnificent views is a must.
Saint Lucia Map by Google
Saint Lucia is located in the Southern Caribbean Sea, south of Martinique and north of St Vincent and the Grenadines.
Some of the Best Honeymoon Places
• Reduit Beach is ideal for swimming in the calm waters and strolling around.
• The beaches of St Lucia Resorts are always excellent
• Jalousie Beach in its exciting setting between both Pitons and best for scuba diving, snorkeling.
• Anse Chastanet with volcanic sand that confirms the origin of this island and many coral reefs for divers and snorkelers
• Grande Anse where you can see one of the largest turtle species (See how they come out of the water to lay their eggs onto the beach!)
• Pigeon Island National Park
• Beaches along the north side of the island from where you can see the French island of Martinique.
It's pure Paradise
Come back again and again to St Lucia, in my personal view one of the most beautiful of the Caribbean Islands. Imagine your Island Wedding in this Eden.
No, you are not day dreaming. It can be a reality.
soufriere by trix pan
pitons by dr anthony picciolo
All courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
Tell us about your favorite Romantic Caribbean Getaway.
Maybe your Caribbean Wedding or your Honeymoon.
Please share your story
Copyright Le Caribbean Islands 2008 - 2013